Trauma is often passed down from one generation to the next. This is because the current system our patriarchy operates under is reliant upon generational trauma continuing. Well, we’re the generations doing the work to cut the line of trauma.
While affirmations can’t make you change your behavior, they can at least help you get into a better frame of mind and the right mindset to provide a more supportive environment for your own children. That’s why we’ve put together this list of 60 affirmations for generational trauma, specifically designed to break the cycle of trauma and heal the next generations!
What is Generational Trauma?
Generational trauma is a type of trauma that is passed down from one generation to the next within families and communities. This can be due to various reasons, such as experiencing traumatic events or being raised in a dysfunctional home. Trauma can often be very damaging and can impact someone’s life for years, decades, or their whole life.
This is due mainly to the current structure of our society, one of duality: either/or. As Anakin says in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, “If you’re not with me, you’re against me.” This kind of thinking has plagued our planet for far too long, causing separation and strife.
But we’re starting to understand that we can choose to do things differently.
RELATED POST: Losing Family to Politics in the Age of Trump
Breaking Generational Trauma
1. Recognize Your Trauma
The first step in breaking generational trauma is knowing that it’s even there in the first place. We’ve been trained well in our society not to question the traditions and behaviors passed down to us. But once you do, you’re able to open your eyes to your true reality.
2. Process It
This realization can be excruciating. You might experience anger or depression and lose relationships with family members and friends. It’s good to take time to process what you’re going through, preferably with the help of a licensed therapist.
3. Start to Make Changes
Getting over generational trauma takes time. These steps may take months or even years. But hopefully, once you realize that, you’ll be ready to start making changes in your life. Seeing things from a different perspective will help you better understand your behavior.
You will automatically shift how you want to raise your kids or treat the people in relationships with you. When we can understand just how our behavior and words have the potential to cause such pain, we begin to act from a place of love instead of “either/or.”
This journey is so worth it. By breaking the cycle of trauma, you’re not only practicing forgiveness, but you’re also helping to heal the next generations. Even if you don’t have children, you’re changing your own life and the lives of those around you. By setting boundaries, you’re helping pave the way for more generations to stop the cycle of trauma.
And that is an incredibly powerful thing.
Affirmations for Self-Worth
Affirmations for Female Empowerment
Affirmations for Patriarchal Trauma
44 Affirmations to Heal Your Inner Child
60 Affirmations to Break Generational Trauma
- I am safe.
- I am loved.
- I am worthy.
- I am not my trauma.
- I am not what has happened to me.
- I am in control of my life.
- I am allowed to heal at my own pace.
- I am allowed to feel all of my emotions.
- My eyes are open, and I see the truth of my past and life.
- I release the pain of my trauma.
- I no longer am a servant to my trauma.
- I am free.
- I am healed.
- Today, I choose to heal.
- I choose love over fear.
- I choose hope over despair.
- My healing is a sign of strength.
- By healing, I am setting an example for generations to come.
- My trauma will not protect me, so I set it free.
- I choose to act out of love and kindness.
- I choose to treat others fairly.
- Listening to others helps heal their own trauma.
- I am a good person, and I deserve to be healed.
- Others around me deserve to be healed.
- I am allowed to be happy.
- I am allowed to have a bright future.
- My trauma does not own me.
- My past does not define me.
- I am open to new possibilities.
- My life is full of love and joy.
- I am grateful for my healing journey.
- Each day, I become more healed.
- My strength comes from within me.
- I am capable of anything.
- I trust myself and my decisions.
- My healing is guiding me to my highest good.
- I am always moving forward with my healing.
- I help others heal their own trauma.
- I treat others with decency and respect.
- I do not own my children, just as my parents do not own me.
- My children are stepping into a brighter future.
- I act out of compassion and understanding.
- I am a role model for my children.
- My love for myself is healing generations of trauma.
- I am proud of myself and my journey.
- Others can see the strength in me.
- My story is one of hope and healing.
- I choose to live my life from a place of love.
- When I heal, my ancestors rejoice.
- I am never alone on this journey.
- My community is supportive of my healing.
- There are endless resources available to help me heal.
- I am guided by love and light.
- The universe is conspiring in my favor.
- Everything happens for a reason and I am exactly where I need to be.
- My ancestors watch me with pride.
- I am rewriting the story of my family.
- My children will know a different reality – one of love, hope, and healing.
- I am grateful for my life and all that I have been through.
- Everything from this moment on happens for my highest good.