Whenever I’m at a place where I don’t know what I need, or I feel like I don’t know what to do I break out my journal and think about questions to ask myself for personal growth. I can’t move forward until I’m able to pinpoint what exactly is bothering me and what I can do to move through this situation or experience.
Thinking deeply about your situation, your life, and the things that you perhaps want to change about your life can absolutely be the catalyst for great personal growth. Personal growth is working to improve your habits, behavior or your happiness in life. And personal growth doesn’t happen without stepping outside of our comfort zone!
Some of these questions to ask yourself may be uncomfortable to think about, but always try to answer them honestly. Honesty and objectivity will give you the greatest insight to the true wonder of your life, and also perhaps where there’s room for improvement.
Maybe you’re feeling stuck in life, or maybe you’re hoping to work on your personal development and growth. Life is what we make of it, so learning more about ourselves, where we came from, and where we’re going can be an excellent way to grow as a person and become unstuck. Use these 75 questions to ask yourself and journal, brainstorm, and meditate on these topics.
You might be surprised at what you’ll learn about yourself!
Answer These for Personal Development
Deep Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Character
- Where do I feel most safe?
- What are my character flaws?
- Am I a good person?
- What are my deepest fears?
- How can I add value to my life?
- What actions do I take that are guided by fear?
- Am I afraid to make mistakes?
- When was the last time I took a risk?
- Do I recharge my energy by being with others or by being alone?
- Do I like to plan or go with the flow?
- When am I guided by rational thought?
- When do my emotions guide me?
- Am I easily satisfied, or am I ambitious? In what ways?
Questions about Your Passions
- What do I get excited about?
- What activities make me lose track of time?
- What makes me smile?
- What makes me laugh?
- What things am I passionate about?
- How do I express myself creatively?
- What sets my soul on fire?
- What issues do I find myself interested in advocating for?
- What could I be happy spending the rest of my life doing?
- What kind of success do I want to see in my life?
Questions about Self-Care and Self-Love
- When did I last do something nice for myself?
- When was the last time I told myself “I love you”?
- How do I practice mindfulness?
- How do I practice gratitude?
- Am I comfortable being alone?
- What do I judge myself for?
- What do I love about myself?
- What parts of my body do I love about myself?
- What would I change about myself?
- What body parts do I find myself criticizing?
- What does self-care mean to me?
- How do I fill my cup?
- Am I honest to others around me about when I need “me time”?
Questions to Ask Yourself about Your Daily Life
- In what ways can I simplify my life?
- How do I make life more complex than it needs to be?
- What do I do every day that is non-negotiable?
- What do I do every day that I could stop doing or reduce?
- What does my ideal day look like?
- What simple joys or pleasures of daily life do I embrace?
- What stress do I experience every day?
READ MORE: 50 Simple Pleasures in Life
Questions about Your Past
- What was the hardest life lesson I had to learn?
- What are my favorite memories?
- Do I have any regrets in life so far?
- What are some of my most embarrassing moments?
- When have I felt like a failure?
- When have I felt like a success?
- What do I try to hide from others about my past?
Questions to Ask Yourself about Your Future
- What things are on my bucket list?
- When I am 80 years old and look back on my life, what will I appreciate the most?
- When I’m 80 years old and look back on my life, will I have any regrets?
- Where do I want to travel?
- What can I let go of to improve my life?
- What risks can I take to improve my life?
- What does the American Dream mean to me?
- Who do I see being in my life for years to come?
- Do I want to have children?
- What do I want to be known for?
- What is the most important thing for me to achieve in my life?
READ MORE: How to Seize the Moment in Your Life!
Questions to Ask about How Your Interact with Others
- Who are my role models?
- Do I contribute to others’ lives around me?
- How do I connect with others?
- When did I last do something nice for someone else?
- What do I judge others for?
- What are my favorite things to do with my friends?
- What do I look for in a friend?
- What do I look for in a partner?
- What do I bring to a friendship?
- What do I bring to a relationship?
- Am I a good listener?
- How can I improve my relationships with others?
- What kinds of things can I ask for from my friends and partner?
- What kinds of things can I give my friends and partner?
When you think about these questions to ask yourself for personal development and growth, you can learn all kinds of new things about yourself. It’s not a perfect science, of course, but when you examine these topics, you’re likely to grow, attract good things into your life, and have a higher life satisfaction.
How important is it to you to examine different aspects of your life for personal growth and development?
What kind of questions do you ask yourself that helped you grow and understand more about life?