When preparing for labor and birth, nothing can help you get into the right mindset more than affirmations. These birth affirmations are perfect to pair with self-hypnosis programs like Hypnobirthing and Blissborn.
Whether you’re planning on an unmedicated birth, epidural birth, or c-section, affirmations help you release your fears of giving birth and find an empowering space for this new journey you’re on!
Birth is a beautiful thing, so learn to embrace it!
Birth Affirmations Help Let Go of Fear
One of the reasons that doulas and midwives like to use affirmations to prepare for birth is because of the fear and stigma surrounding birth: pain, injury, and potentially even death.
Scientifically, when we feel fear, our heart rate accelerates and our blood pressure rises. For those already prone to hypertension, this could lead to potential complications. Blood is sent away from our vital organs and to our muscles (for fight or flight). Again, this is something we don’t want! We want our bodies to continue to send blood to our uterus and to our baby.
We already have a skewed perception of what giving birth looks like in the United States, and as women carry this picture and remain afraid in labor and childbirth, they are more prone to perineal injuries and tears.
Women often picture birth as a terrifying experience where you lose all control. You’re forced into a bed, on your back (which is not a great position to birth in), potentially with your feet in stirrups, and you’re at the mercy of the doctor, who is likely a man.
Birth doesn’t have to be that way.
Affirmations Help You Take Back Your Power
Practicing affirmations can turn that fear response around. Feeling powerful and capable are important steps in reducing fear. Being aware of your own ability and putting your worries aside will help you have a calmer birth.
They aren’t guaranteed to make birth go any faster or prevent you from feeling pain from contractions, but they can help put your mind at ease. They give you a different picture of what your birth might look like.
That is why it’s SO important that you birth affirmations are positive, powerful, and present tense.
Want some affirmations to carry with you at all times through your pregnancy? Check out
The 11 Best Pregnancy Affirmation Cards for a Positive Birth
The 20 Best Printable Birth Affirmation Cards
42 Empowering Birth Affirmations
- My body was made to do this.
- With each wave, my body brings my baby closer to me.
- I am a fucking badass.
- I trust my body.
- I relax. I release. I open.
- I am working together with my baby.
- I feel calm and happy.
- I breathe deeply and relax my jaw and hands.
- I feel my shoulders relax.
- Birth is safe for me and my baby.
- Birth is a powerful, positive experience.
- I am in awe of what my body can do.
- I surrender.
- I have the courage and power of generations of mothers who have birthed before me.
- I am birthing this baby with thousands of women around the world.
- I trust my instincts.
- I soften. I open.
- I am loved. My baby is loved.
- I welcome my baby with calm and joy.
- I am safe.
- My baby is safe.
- I greet each wave with breath and relaxation.
- I am secure.
- I can do this.
- My body knows how to birth my baby.
- I am surrounded by love.
- I feel strong and beautiful.
- I am filled with feminine power.
- I birth with ease.
- I believe in myself.
- I breathe baby down.
- I experience the wisdom of my body.
- This is power.
- My birth is going exactly as it should.
- I embrace the instincts of my body. It knows exactly what to do.
- I experience the power of my body and I am not afraid.
- I am brave.
- I am doing this.
- I am calm and in control.
- I am flexible and receptive to change. My body knows what to do.
- I am powerful.
- Giving birth is amazing!