To make the end of the breastfeeding journey less emotionally painful, here are some affirmations to recite to yourself. Whenever you’re feeling torn about quitting, or you just need to remind yourself that it’s okay to grieve the end of your journey, these affirmations when you stop breastfeeding are for you.
Breastfeeding is the most amazing journey.
My first son didn’t breastfeed because of a severe lip tie, and even though we caught it early, he never latched. I pumped exclusively for 4 months through pain and an abscess that resulted in surgery. It was emotionally painful to stop, even though my body was telling me I needed to.
With my second son, he latched an hour after birth and has practically never stopped breastfeeding! He’s a boob monster. But he’s 11 months now, and I’m to the point of wanting my body, sleep, and time back. It’s going to be a difficult journey for both of us to wean.
*For the purposes of this article, I will continue to use the terms breastfeeding, nursing, and chestfeeding interchangeably. The terminology is changing to become more trans-inclusive, which I wholeheartedly support.
When to Stop Chestfeeding
Many breastfeeding advocates will tell you to keep nursing through the toddler years, but you need to do what’s best for you.
Whether your baby is going on 3 years or going on 2 weeks, when you need to stop, you need to stop.
You need to find what is balanced and healthy for you.
40 Affirmations for When Breastfeeding Gets Tough
Powerful, Motivating Affirmations for Mama Life
Positive Self-Esteem Affirmations to Build Your Self-Worth FAST!
Affirmations for Pregnancy
Recommendations for Stopping Nursing
As Medical News puts it:
Women do not need to stop breastfeeding if they are not ready, and do not need to continue breastfeeding if they have had enough.Medical News Today
I think this is the perfect advice. It should be up to each mother when and how to stop.
Of course, you do want to try to keep baby (and you) happy. Here are a few tips:
- You will need to find a breast milk replacement (formula) for babies under 1 year.
- Do it slowly to prevent engorgement and mastitis.
- Do it slowly to make it easier for baby to handle.
- Drop baby’s least favorite feeding first.
- Spend extra time with baby and offer more comfort in other ways.
- Give yourself time to grieve.
- If you feel that you are developing depression, which is not uncommon, don’t hesitate to seek help.
ETA: And now that we’ve started our weaning journey, we actually dropped the most favorite ones first (bedtime and nap) in order to expedite the process. It hasn’t been easy either, but when we got stuck, learning a new way to fall asleep was incredibly helpful!
15 Life-Changing Ways an Overwhelmed Mom Can Start to Thrive
What is Mom-Shaming?
20 Affirmations for When You Stop Breastfeeding
Remember, affirmations are best when practiced. That means reciting them again and again. Write your favorite ones on a card and read them to yourself before bed. Meditate on them, or post them on your mirror.
Learn more about practicing your Affirmations: What Are Affirmations and How Do They Work?
You got this, mama!
- I am a great mother.
- I balance the needs of my child with my own needs.
- I am a loving, caring person.
- I cherish the connections I am making with my child.
- I release expectations and allow myself to do what is needed.
- I allow myself to fully feel my feelings.
- I appreciate my body for nourishing my baby.
- I love what my body is capable of doing.
- I acknowledge the end of this journey, and know that a new beginning is starting.
- I give my all to my children.
- I know that loving and supporting my child is the most important thing I can do as a mother.
- My baby loves and cherishes what I give him.
- My relationship with my baby is stronger because of breastfeeding.
- I get to decide my worth as a mother.
- I connect easily with my baby.
- I am thankful to live in a world where there are many methods of feeding my baby.
- I am grateful that my baby is happy and healthy.
- I love my relationship with my child.
- My baby is learning and growing into an amazing child.
- I always choose what is best for my children and myself.
Ready to take your affirmation practice to the next level? Make sure you check out the BEST Affirmation Cards for a Healthy Mindset!
HERE ARE SOME MORE AFFIRMATIONS:
Affirmations for Finding Love
Affirmations for Self-Love
Affirmations Inspired By Dr. Joe Dispenza
Affirmations for Fitness and Health